Creative writing is tough. Sometimes all we need is a tiny nudge to make us chuck it in.
If you’re looking to bail but need more than a hall pass, here are some tried and tested, totally legitimate, OUTS. Great excuses. Guaranteed to save face. Your face.
1. If you get published you might have to go on Oprah. That would be scary.
2. Ditto, you’re terrified of the CBCA/Miles Franklin/State Premier/Jennifer Byrne.
3. You’re tired. Self care, people, self care!
4. You’re in the middle of your novel and you’re completely, utterly, desperately lost. That shouldn’t happen, right?
5. You’re in the middle of your novel and you’ve come up with a better idea. No seriously. This one is loads better!
6. You like being an emerging author, it’s got cred. (Submerging authors, eat your heart out.)
7. You’ve read stacks of other people’s novels. You already know how to write.
8. Country Road is having a sale.
9. There are socks to iron.
10. Game of Thrones is on.
11. You need to know this will work before you commit.
12. If you finish you might get rejected. Who could afford the therapy?
13. If this gets out, people will envy your genius. You’ll never get invited nowhere.
14. You need to think. Just a bit more…
Are you on my mailing list? You should be! CLICK HERE.
7 Replies to “14 Excuses to Stop Writing NOW”
COUNTRY ROAD IS HAVING A SALE?! #outtamywaybiatches
Lol. This reminds me of a recent SYWTBAW podcast in which Jaclyn Moriarty was interviewed. She said she loved hearing about her sister Liane’s red carpet nights and her meetings with Nicole Kidman but she was kind of glad it wasn’t her because she just wouldn’t have a clue what to wear. That’d be me 😀 #aimhighbutnottoohigh
Love the hash tag, Pamela! So funny. And yeah, scary stuff that red carpet. Not that i would know. But you know what I mean…
Haha… love it. 🤣
LOL! On the day I think, ‘I’m not cut out to be a writer (I’m super-introverted and all of that anxiety-provoking social stuff…bleurgh!), I might chuck it in and go get a REAL job,’ I get your words of wisdom in my inbox, Jen. 🙂 Funnier still, I binge-watched the entire series 7 of GOT in the last two days. #feelingguiltynow
LOL!! Winter is coming, Tania! x